Monday, July 30, 2012

Simple Lemon & Black Bean Quinoa

The reasons I love quinoa are almost endless; I actually can’t believe I made it into my late twenties knowing nothing about this little nugget!  Here is my “let me count the ways” love list, followed by my simplest of quinoa “recipes” :).

How do I love thee?! …

  • Packed with plant protein
  • Great for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
  • Mild tasting – can be dressed up or down without much effort
  • QUICK and almost entirely fool proof (if I can cook it, you can too!)
  • Easy to pack (think Sunday evening “OMGosh what do I bring for lunch tomorrow?!” dilemmas)
  • Great transition food for those newly aspiring vegetarians and vegans who are wondering what they can eat and where to get more protein.  It’s essentially your gate-way drug … just in a good way ;).

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup rinsed quinoa
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 can low sodium black beans, rinsed
  • 2 cups water
  • Sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
  • Juice and zest from one lemon
  • NOTE: As an an extra-speedy alternative to the lemon/pepper/salt combo, you can also you a lemon pepper spice blend of your choice.  I am forever hooked on the one by Dangold Inc.: http://dangoldinc.com/Gourmet_Collections.html.

Optional additions:

  • Cucumber, diced
  • Tomatoes, diced
  • Roasted red peppers, diced
  • Feta cheese (vegetarian option)

How To Prepare:

  • Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
  • Add the olive oil and stir in the quinoa.
  • Bring back to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to low and cover.
  • While the quinoa cooks, I usually zest the lemon and drain and rinse the beans; this is a good time to prep any additional veggies also ;).
  • The quinoa is finished when all of the liquid is absorbed – the surface should have little air holes (kind of like clams under the sand) and you should be able to see the grain unfurling, if that makes sense (it will when you see it!).  This should take about 20 minutes.
  • Turn off the heat when finished and let sit to cool.  Fluff the quinoa with a fork, transfer to a larger bowl, then start adding your seasonings (to taste); lemon juice and zest, fresh black pepper, salt … beans … then any extra veggies of your choice.
  • Serve warm or chilled (chilled is my favorite) – provecho!


No comments: